Closed cell foams
Unlike open-cell foams, which have interconnecting pores, closed cell polyethylene (PE) foams are made up of smaller cells, all of which are separate and do not interlink. As a result, these foams react differently and offer particular performance benefits in a range of applications, thus providing a versatile solution across a multitude of industrial and domestic sectors.
As an innovative and technical leader in the conversion of closed cell foams, we supply a vast range of closed cell solutions. We work with the most advanced materials, which include Evazote, Plastazote, EVA foam, Alveolit, Jiffycell and Stratocell, to ensure that we can always supply the optimum foam to suit each application and environment.
Why choose closed cell foams?
While open-cell materials are more widely used in foam applications, closed cell PE foams offer a more effective solution when strength, flexibility and durability are required in a lightweight form.
The main advantages of closed cell foams are:
- Superior shock and impact absorption
- High level of heat resistance
- Very low water and water vapour absorption
- Superior sound dampening and absorption
- Insulation (heat and cold)
- Bacteria, mould and mildew resistance
- Regular cell structure
- Chemical resistance
- Dirt resistance
- Re-usable and recyclable
Open-ended possibilities for closed cell foams
As the leading engineering-biased foam manufacturer in the UK, Technical Foam Services develops and produces a vast range of closed cell foam products for customers around the world, spanning a multitude of industries and sectors.
Combining the inherent flexibility of closed cell foams with our expertise and engineering capabilities means the results we can achieve with closed cell materials are almost limitless.
We offer the widest range of densities and colours and can also supply products with foil facing and self-adhesive backings, making the range of applications vast.
Furthermore, with their outstanding resistance to heat, not only can we die cut, rout, and emboss closed cell foams, we are also able to mould and thermo-form them to produce a wide range of innovative goods for a broad spectrum of sectors.
A multitude of applications
Just some of the applications for closed cell foam sheets are:
- Packaging and case inserts - for protection and impact absorption
- Aerospace - for superior insulation and lightweight performance
- Marine - for buoyancy, strength, sound and impact dampening and water impermeability for gaskets and seals and protective equipment such as life vests
- Construction - high heat, dirt and moisture resistance combined with shock and sound absorbing properties are ideal for HVAC systems and gaskets and seals
- Insulation - a high level of thermal insulation for a wide range of applications
- Sport and leisure - for protection and impact absorption in body armour and protective equipment and buoyancy for flotation aids such as the Swimfin (www.swimfin.co.uk)
- Military and emergency services - impact protection for a range of equipment such as body armour and footwear
- Health and medical - cushioning and high tear resistance for beds and bedding as well as Impact protection for medical supports and mats.
If you are looking for closed cell foam products, call our technical team to discuss your individual requirements.